IRON MATTERS Podcasts:
Download and subscribe the podcasts on your favourite podcast app or listen below.
You can view a video of this podcast on the IRON-MATTERS YouTube channel here.
Ep 1: Diagnosing haemochromatosis in general practice
Dr Robert Menz is an Australian General Practitioner based in Adelaide, South Australia. He has a particular interest in Chronic Disease Management. He is the RACGP Medical Advisor for the RACGP exam, a member of the SA/NT faculty board and also a senior examiner. He has an interest in Standards, and is an Australian General Practice Accreditation Limited (AGPAL) practice surveyor. Robert completed a Masters in Clinical Education in 2013 and teaches General Practice and Clinical Education.
Ep 2: Genetic screening for haemochromatosis
Professor Martin Delatycki is a clinical geneticist based in Melbourne, Australia. He is Medical Director of Victorian Clinical Genetics Services and Co-director of the Bruce Lefroy Centre, Murdoch Childrens Research Centre, Melbourne. Principal Investigator and Co-Lead, Mackenzie’s Mission.
Ep 3: Lifeblood’s therapeutic donor program with Dr Pater Bentley
Dr Peter Bentley, a Senior Medical Officer with Australian Red Cross Lifeblood based in Perth. His manages the therapeutic donor program for Lifeblood. He talks about the benefits of the program for people with haemochromatosis requiring venesections, the benefits for the community and how treating GPs and specialists can easily refer patients for venesection using the online High ferritin app. Listen now.
IRON-MATTERS is a series of interviews by and for medical and health practitioners focusing on hereditary haemochromatosis. The series is intended to provide general practitioners with in-depth information about this genetic chronic condition.
– diagnosis in general practice with GP Dr Robert Menz
– the genetics of haemochromatosis with clinical geneticist Prof Martin Delatycki
– haemochromatosis and the liver with gastroenterologist Prof John Olynyk
– haemochromatotic arthropathy with rheumatologist Prof Graeme Carroll
– iron and the heart with cardiologist Prof David Playford
– best practice in venesection with nurse specialist Cindy Bryant
– Australian Red Cross Lifeblood therapeutic venesection program with Dr Peter Bentley
– bodily iron regulation with haematologist Prof Sant-Rayn Pasricha
The first episode was published 1 June 2020. Future episodes will be published every two weeks.
IRON-MATTERS is published by Haemochromatosis Australia and produced by Healthily.
To view videos of published episodes, visit the IRON-MATTERS YouTube channel here.
You can browse our collection of resources for medical and health professionals and patients here.